About the Club
The Young Critics get together to read brand-new, just-published books, so EVERYONE wants to know what they are reading right now! By early spring the Young Critics will have read and reviewed over forty brand new books, and they are ready to vote for their Favorites Books of the Year list. Even publishers want to know what books are on their list!
The Young Critics love to read, and are in grades 6, 7, and 8. The club meets on alternate Wednesdays year round at 4 PM to talk (and argue) about the new books they are reading. Meetings last about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Each week Ms. Jen and Mrs. Woodward introduce (“booktalk”) spankin’ new books. Young Critics who want to act as reviewers for one of the new books volunteer to read it. They return the book at the next meeting, along with an honest critique. Then they pass that book along to another reader to review.
How Can I Join?
We are still accepting YCC applications for the 2022-2023 school year, for the WAITING LIST ONLY.
To apply to join the Young Critics’ Club, follow these easy steps:
- Print an application or pick one up at the Youth Services Desk
- Fill it out. Follow the instructions carefully
- Drop it off at the Youth Services Desk
- Call Ms. Jen (203-637-8802) to make an appointment for a brief interview
- Come to your interview with Ms. Jen. She’ll talk to you about your application and the books you like!
- You will be placed on a waiting list for the club, and will be contacted if a space becomes available
Remember these super-important things when you apply:
- You must be be entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in Fall 2022
- You should be available most Wednesdays at 4 PM, year-round
- You have to fill out the application and call for an appointment yourself. Your parents can’t apply for you!
YCC’s Favorite Books of the Year
- Favorite Books of 2021-2022
- Favorite Books of 2020-2021
- Favorite Books of 2019-2020
- Favorite Books of 2018-2019
- Favorite Books of 2017-2018
- Favorite Books of 2016-2017
- Favorite Books of 2015-2016
Winter/Spring 2023 Meeting Dates
Wednesdays at 4 PM on:
- January 25th
- February 8th
- February 22nd
- March 8th
- March 22nd
- April 5th
- April 19th