Computer Services for Adults
- Perrot Library has public computers available for use in the Adult Department’s Binney Room.
- All of the computers in the Binney Room have internet access, as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software.
- Each user is limited to 120 minutes of computer use per day.
- We do not recommend doing any online banking or purchasing while using Perrot’s (or any other) public internet terminals.
- Users may not load any software onto the Library’s computers.
- Sound is available on all machines, but users must wear headphones to avoid disturbing other patrons. Earbud headphones are available for purchase at the Reference Desk.
- Users may save any files they have created onto their personal USB storage device. USB drives are available for purchase at the Reference Desk.
- Please log off after your session is complete. This will ensure the workstation is cleared of any personal data or files.
- The Library provides free access to the internet for informational and educational purposes. While our staff will guide users in the application of general research techniques, they can only provide limited technical support. Users are asked to have basic computer skills.
- Please review Perrot’s Internet Policy [PDF]
- Black-and-white printing is available. Printouts are sent to our public laser printer, located in the Binney Room. Printouts are 10¢ per page. Please see the Reference Desk staff to have the total cost for your job confirmed and have your job released to the printer.
- Mobile printing is now available at Perrot–print from your laptop, tablet, or smartphone directly to our public printers. Mobile print instructions [PDF]
- There is one public black-and-white copy machine in the library. It is located in the Binney Room. Copies are 10¢ each. Please pay for your copies at the Reference Desk.
Computer Services for Children
- There are also several public computers available for use in the Youth Services Wing
- These computers have have Internet access, as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software
- Each user is limited to 120 minutes of computer use per day
- An adult must remain with their child under the age of 6 to supervise his or her computer use
- Children have priority of use in the Youth Services Department. If you are an adult unaccompanied by a child, you must check the Binney Room for availability before asking to use a Youth Services computer
- Sound is available on all machines. Child-sized headphones are available for use. Users must keep the volume at an appropriate level
- Users may save any files they have created onto their personal USB storage device
- Black-and-white printing is available. Printouts are sent to our public laser printer, located at the Youth Services Desk. Printouts are 10¢ per page. Please see the Youth Services Desk staff to have the total cost for your job confirmed and have your job released to the printer
Wi-Fi (Wireless Internet Access)
Wireless Internet Access (WiFi) is available at Perrot Library. You may access our wireless network via your wireless-capable laptop, smartphone, or other device throughout the building.
How to Connect
You will need a computer or other device with a wireless card or built in wireless capability.
Wireless internet access at Perrot is powered by Ruckus Wireless.
- Select Network Name (SSID): Perrot Guest Wi-Fi
- Password: perrotguest
- Please note: Traffic on our wireless network is NOT ENCRYPTED. You are responsible for securing your own equipment.
Connection speed may vary depending on the number of users accessing the network at once, and the amount of bandwidth they are using.
As with our public PCs, we do not recommend doing any online banking, investing or purchasing over our wireless network. Credit card numbers and other personal information are not encrypted on our network and anyone with a basic knowledge of wireless hacking can access any data sent over this network. Please make sure that you have turned off file sharing while using our WiFi network. Perrot Memorial Library is not responsible for loss of data or functionality that may arise from using your personal equipment on our unsecured public wireless network. Use of our wireless network is at your own risk.
Mobile printing is now available at Perrot- print from your laptop, tablet, or smartphone directly to our public printers over our wireless network. Mobile print instructions [PDF]
Accessing Library Resources
Our wireless Internet service is provided via Optimum Online. It does not connect to our wired network in any way. Users on the wireless network accessing the Library’s electronic resources will appear as though they were accessing the Library from outside, even though they are physically in the building.
Should you experience problems connecting, please inquire for assistance at the Reference Desk. Please note that only limited technical support is available. You may need to refer to your owner’s manual or contact the technical support services for the manufacturer of your device.
What are the benefits of Smart Wi-Fi?
Ruckus’ “Smart Wi-Fi” technology combines hardware, software, and services to deliver faster wireless connections. Ruckus offers first-of-its-kind antenna technology that maximizes signal coverage, throughput, and network capacity. Ruckus’ advanced software continually learns the environment with all its hostilities and interference sources, including disruptive radio frequency conditions, numerous communicating devices, network performance issues, and application flows. Then, it selects the optimum antenna pattern for each communicating device in real time, while actively mitigating interference and minimizing noise to nearby networks and devices.
Ruckus offers Perrot’s patrons increased and stabilized network performance (for picture-perfect video streaming and crystal-clear voice communications over wireless), as well as expanded network coverage